New Inquiries and a Philosophical Reading List
It has been several years since I last posted to this blog. When I did so I did not know as much about philosophy and its philosophers as I do now. Though my ideas about God and the Universe have remained similar to this day, there are some changes to my ideas that I wish to express here.
The first is an organization of my main interests in the field of philosophy and (theoretical) linguistics. These are listed below:
- Epistemology
- Metaphysics
- Ethics & Aesthetics
- Philosophy of Religion
- Political Philosophy
- Pedagogy
- Theoretical Linguistics, the Philosophy of Language, Logic, and Mathematics
I wish to expound upon the last category I mentioned: "Theoretical Linguistics, the Philosophy of Language, Logic, and Mathematics". The reason why I bolded that section is that I believe that these areas of study are the most important for understanding any other field of inquiry, especially in philosophy. I believe this for the simple reason that we investigate philosophy and the nature of the world through the use of language. If we don't understand how language works and acts, then we cannot understand the philosophy we discuss through the use of language. Logic and mathematics come into play since both logic and mathematics provide the basis of the fundamental building blocks and basics of language. For these reasons I have presented thus far, I shall be focusing my attention solely upon theoretical linguistics, the philosophy of language, logic, and mathematics for the time being. Once I have figured this out, I will go onto discussing epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, etc.
I would also like to note here that once I have discovered my theories on the topics presented in dot points above, I will present them in one whole book rather than several. I have come upon this decision as I have noticed that far too many philosophers and thinkers divide their ideas into far too many varying books and essays. And this makes it incredibly hard for any interested learner to dig into their theories and ideas. Of course, I totally recognize that the reason why these books on philosophy are so huge, which is that philosophical ideas are complicated subjects, and so a book detailing them must end up being large to include all the various nuances. Still, I believe that since perceiving the universe as it is is inherently easy for us, so must the theories explaining the universe be also.
The exception to this would be political philosophy and pedagogy as these topics are fairly different than the other subjects I wish to discuss.
However, I believe that to divulge in my own philosophical thinking it is necessary to comprehend the ideas and ideologies of previous philosophers. For this reason, I have created a list of the philosophers that I wish to study before I begin to really create and discover my own ideas. I shall first undertake the responsibility of understanding Western Thought, and afterward, I will turn my head towards the East and take a look at Avicenna, the Buddha, Zarathustra, Confucius, Laozi, and others.
Below is the list (note: it is not in order of which I will read first):
- Plato's Works
- Republic
- Apology
- Theaetetus
- Phaedo
- Meno
- Parmenides
- Symposium
- Timaeus
- Laws
- Phaedrus
- Gorgias
- Protagoras
- Crito
- Euthyphro
- Critias
- Cratylus
- Aristotle
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Politics
- Metaphysics
- Rhetoric
- Poetics
- Organon collection on logic
- Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
The first is an organization of my main interests in the field of philosophy and (theoretical) linguistics. These are listed below:
- Epistemology
- Metaphysics
- Ethics & Aesthetics
- Philosophy of Religion
- Political Philosophy
- Pedagogy
- Theoretical Linguistics, the Philosophy of Language, Logic, and Mathematics
I wish to expound upon the last category I mentioned: "Theoretical Linguistics, the Philosophy of Language, Logic, and Mathematics". The reason why I bolded that section is that I believe that these areas of study are the most important for understanding any other field of inquiry, especially in philosophy. I believe this for the simple reason that we investigate philosophy and the nature of the world through the use of language. If we don't understand how language works and acts, then we cannot understand the philosophy we discuss through the use of language. Logic and mathematics come into play since both logic and mathematics provide the basis of the fundamental building blocks and basics of language. For these reasons I have presented thus far, I shall be focusing my attention solely upon theoretical linguistics, the philosophy of language, logic, and mathematics for the time being. Once I have figured this out, I will go onto discussing epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, etc.
I would also like to note here that once I have discovered my theories on the topics presented in dot points above, I will present them in one whole book rather than several. I have come upon this decision as I have noticed that far too many philosophers and thinkers divide their ideas into far too many varying books and essays. And this makes it incredibly hard for any interested learner to dig into their theories and ideas. Of course, I totally recognize that the reason why these books on philosophy are so huge, which is that philosophical ideas are complicated subjects, and so a book detailing them must end up being large to include all the various nuances. Still, I believe that since perceiving the universe as it is is inherently easy for us, so must the theories explaining the universe be also.
The exception to this would be political philosophy and pedagogy as these topics are fairly different than the other subjects I wish to discuss.
However, I believe that to divulge in my own philosophical thinking it is necessary to comprehend the ideas and ideologies of previous philosophers. For this reason, I have created a list of the philosophers that I wish to study before I begin to really create and discover my own ideas. I shall first undertake the responsibility of understanding Western Thought, and afterward, I will turn my head towards the East and take a look at Avicenna, the Buddha, Zarathustra, Confucius, Laozi, and others.
Below is the list (note: it is not in order of which I will read first):
- Plato's Works
- Republic
- Apology
- Theaetetus
- Phaedo
- Meno
- Parmenides
- Symposium
- Timaeus
- Laws
- Phaedrus
- Gorgias
- Protagoras
- Crito
- Euthyphro
- Critias
- Cratylus
- Aristotle
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Politics
- Metaphysics
- Rhetoric
- Poetics
- Organon collection on logic
- Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
- Maimonedes
- Augustine of Hippo - The City of God, Confessions
- Thomas Aquinas - Summa Theologiae, Summa contra gentiles
- Boethius - Consolation of Philosophy
- Anselm of Canterbury - Cur Deus Homo
- William of Occam - Summa Logicae
- René Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy, Discourse on Method, Passions of the Soul
- Niccolò Machiavelli - The Prince
- Spinoza - Ethics
- Leibniz - Discourse on Metaphysics, The Monadology, New Essays
- John Locke - An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
- Francis Bacon - Novum Organum
- David Hume - A Treatise of Human Nature, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Concerning the Principles of Morals, Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion
- Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan
- Blaise Pascal - Pensées
- Arthur Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau - Social Contract, Emilé/On Education
- Montesquieu - On the Spirit of Law
- Karl Marx - Communist Manifesto
- Søren Kierkegaard - Fear and Trembling, And/Or
- Immanuel Kant - Critique of Pure Reason, Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals, Critique of the Power of Judgement, What is Enlightenment?
- G.W.F. Hegel - The Phenomenology of Spirit, Science of Logic
- Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra, On the Genealogy of Morality, Ecce Homo
- John Stuart Mill - On Liberty, Utilitarianism
- Martin Heidegger - Being and Time, "What is Called Thinking?", "The Question Concerning Technology"
- C.S. Peirce - The Fixation of Belief, How to Make Our Ideas Clear
- Alfred J. Ayer - Language, Truth, and Logic
- Simone de Beauvoir - The Second Sex
- Jean-Paul Sartre - Being and Nothingness, Existentialism is a Humanism
- Noam Chomsky - Syntactic Structures, Aspects of the Theory of Syntax, Knowledge of Language, Reflections on Language, On Language, Cartesian Linguistics, Language and Mind, On Nature and Language
- Peter Singer - The Life You Can Save, Animal Liberation
- Apology
- Theaetetus
- Phaedo
- Meno
- Parmenides
- Symposium
- Timaeus
- Laws
- Phaedrus
- Gorgias
- Protagoras
- Crito
- Euthyphro
- Critias
- Cratylus
- Aristotle
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Politics
- Metaphysics
- Rhetoric
- Poetics
- Organon collection on logic
- Augustine of Hippo - The City of God, Confessions
- Thomas Aquinas - Summa Theologiae, Summa contra gentiles
- Boethius - Consolation of Philosophy
- Anselm of Canterbury - Cur Deus Homo
- William of Occam - Summa Logicae
- René Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy, Discourse on Method, Passions of the Soul
- Niccolò Machiavelli - The Prince
- Spinoza - Ethics
- Leibniz - Discourse on Metaphysics, The Monadology, New Essays
- John Locke - An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
- Francis Bacon - Novum Organum
- David Hume - A Treatise of Human Nature, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Concerning the Principles of Morals, Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion
- Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan
- Blaise Pascal - Pensées
- Arthur Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau - Social Contract, Emilé/On Education
- Montesquieu - On the Spirit of Law
- Karl Marx - Communist Manifesto
- Søren Kierkegaard - Fear and Trembling, And/Or
- Immanuel Kant - Critique of Pure Reason, Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals, Critique of the Power of Judgement, What is Enlightenment?
- G.W.F. Hegel - The Phenomenology of Spirit, Science of Logic
- Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra, On the Genealogy of Morality, Ecce Homo
- John Stuart Mill - On Liberty, Utilitarianism
- Martin Heidegger - Being and Time, "What is Called Thinking?", "The Question Concerning Technology"
- C.S. Peirce - The Fixation of Belief, How to Make Our Ideas Clear
- Alfred J. Ayer - Language, Truth, and Logic
- Simone de Beauvoir - The Second Sex
- Jean-Paul Sartre - Being and Nothingness, Existentialism is a Humanism
- Noam Chomsky - Syntactic Structures, Aspects of the Theory of Syntax, Knowledge of Language, Reflections on Language, On Language, Cartesian Linguistics, Language and Mind, On Nature and Language
- Peter Singer - The Life You Can Save, Animal Liberation
- Frege - Begrifsschrift (On Logic)
- Bertrand Russel - "On Denoting"
Most Important For My "True Tongue" Philosophical Investigation and Exercise:
- Plato's Works
- Republic- Apology
- Theaetetus
- Phaedo
- Meno
- Parmenides
- Symposium
- Timaeus
- Laws
- Phaedrus
- Gorgias
- Protagoras
- Crito
- Euthyphro
- Critias
- Cratylus
- Aristotle
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Politics
- Metaphysics
- Rhetoric
- Poetics
- Organon collection on logic
- Ludwig Wittgenstein - Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, Philosophical Investigations
- Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra, On the Genealogy of Morality, Beyond Good and Evil, Ecce Homo
There it is. I hope to read around one per month, and then write something about it on this blog. I will post other lists of books I must read to this blog later on. These booklists will be fiction and not non-fiction, generally speaking. For example, I will post one on "fantastika" (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, weird fiction, magical realism, etc.) as I like to call it, one on epic mythic poems and prose of the past (The Odyssey, The Iliad, The Aeneid, The Prose Edda, The Kalevala, The Poetic Edda, etc.), and the great (modern) (literary) classics of the past. Ooh! And also a list of my own canon of great conlangs created thus far. That will be fun!
Mariok Soresal Hillick
- Noam Chomsky Syntactic Structures, Aspects of the Theory of Syntax, Knowledge of Language, Reflections on Language, On Language, Cartesian Linguistics, Language and Mind, On Nature and Language
- Frege - Begrifsschrift (on Logic)
- Bertrand Russel - "On Denoting"
- Willard Van Orman Quine - From a Logical Point of View, Word and Object, etc.
- René Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy, Discourse on Method, Passions of the Soul
- Leibniz - Discourse on Metaphysics, The Monadology, New Essays
- G.W.F. Hegel - The Phenomenology of Spirit, Science of Logic
There it is. I hope to read around one per month, and then write something about it on this blog. I will post other lists of books I must read to this blog later on. These booklists will be fiction and not non-fiction, generally speaking. For example, I will post one on "fantastika" (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, weird fiction, magical realism, etc.) as I like to call it, one on epic mythic poems and prose of the past (The Odyssey, The Iliad, The Aeneid, The Prose Edda, The Kalevala, The Poetic Edda, etc.), and the great (modern) (literary) classics of the past. Ooh! And also a list of my own canon of great conlangs created thus far. That will be fun!
Mariok Soresal Hillick
Comments
Post a Comment